Hello to everyone,
Today I will share an easy and useful free amigurumi pattern with you. This octopus pattern is a reversible pattern. You can use your octopus toy in two different directions. The mode in which the toy will appear is up to you. Thank you very much to Crocheting Dummy for this free pattern. You can find more free amigurumi patterns here.
Amigurumi Reversible Octopus Pattern Instructions
- 2 colors of yarn
- A crochet hook
- Some stuffing
- A yarn needle
- Safety eyes, I used 6 mm
- Some black yarn for face details
This pattern is written in US crochet terms.
- sc – single crochet
- inc – “increase”, crochet 2 single crochet into the same stitch
The amount of stitches you should have after every round is at the end of every step. You will need to make 2 bodies and 16 tentacles. You will need a body and 8 tentacles in both of your chosen yarn colors.
This is a good project for anyone who is just starting to learn Amigurumi, the assembly may
get a little complicated but you can do it!
Amigurumi Reversible Octopus
Body (Make 2, one in each color)
- Magic circle, 6 sc (6)
- 6 inc (12)
- (1sc, 1inc) 6 times (18)
- (2sc, 1 inc) 6 times (24)
- (3sc, 1 inc) 6 times (30)
- (4sc, 1 inc) 6 times (36)
- (5sc, 1 inc) 6 times (42)
- Sc all the way around (42)
- (6sc, 1 inc) 6 times (48)
- Sc all the way around (48)
- (7sc, 1 inc) 6 times (54)
- – 21. Sc all the way around (54)
Tentacles (Make 16, 8 in each color)
- Chain 7
- Starting in the second chain from hook:
sc 6 in one side and sc 6 in the other side as well
(you will have to crochet into one stitch twice) (12)
- Chain 1, turn
sc 4, inc, sc 2, inc, sc4 (14)
- Chain 1, turn
sc 5, inc, sc2, inc, sc 5 (16)
- Sc all the way around (16)
Finish off. Leave long tails for assembly.
Assembly (Read the whole thing before doing it, there are 2 methods)
- Add the safety eyes to both of your octopus bodies and use the black yarn to give them the desired facial expression. I did one sad and the other one happy, but the possibilities are endless here!
- Now you will need to sew all 8 tentacles to the matching body (all in Color A) using the long tails you left. To space them evenly, I always put 2 tentacles on opposite sides of the octopus body. I first put on 4, in kind of an “+” pattern and then I sewed the other tentacles in the spaces between. Make sure the threads are secure and no knots will unravel anytime soon!
- Next, do the same as 2. with the other octopus half. You need to make sure that the spacing is the same as on the other one and that the octopus faces face the same way.
- Now you need to sew both octopus halves together. Make sure that the ugly sides of the octopuses face each other so that all the ugly loose strands of yarn are hidden and the face looks right at you when you look at it from underneath. Make sure to stuff the tentacles well! I also stuffed the body a bit, but that’s optional.
- Alternatively, you can first sew on all the (Color B) tentacles to the already attached (Color A) tentacles and then sew on the (Color B) body. Either way, stuff your new octopus friend well and make sure the ugly sides of both octopuses face each other!
- Make sure that all the loose yarn is hidden away inside of the octopus and that all the seams look clean.
Now you should have a brand new reversible mood octopus! I hope you liked this pattern!
More Amigurumi Octopus Ideas
Our Social Media Accounts
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/402373950806195/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/emygurumie